Tuesday, January 22, 2008

1 week later.....




I finally am starting to feel well enough that I decided I should write about my version of the labor experience. Overall it was a good experience, I'm not saying the best ever, but it was one that I will remember for the rest of my life. I have to admit that it was better then I expected, but maybe its the mommy amnesia kicking in now and I don't remember all of the pain little Cruz put me through.
At 3am when I started having contractions I couldn't tell if they were the real deal, because they felt nothing like the braxton hicks contractions that I had earlier in my pregnancy (maybe they weren't braxton hicks then). To me they felt like the worst menstrual cramps that I had ever had. Did anyone else feel that way, because when I told my mom she sounded surprised at how I described them. Finally at about 4:30ish they were bad enough that Brendan and I decided that it was time to go.
When we got to the hospital I was already 4-5cm dilated, but I had also been 3cm dilated for the past two weeks. I told them that I was ready for my epidural and my nurse then tells me that they had three back-to-back emergency c-sections and it could be a few hours until I could have one. I thought I was going to die. Luckily the doctor came in a few minutes later and told me that an extra anastialogist had come in, whew!!!!! By that time I was already 7cm dilated and boy was I ready for some pain relief. The epidural felt like a warm blanket. It was really nice too, because I got to control how much pain relief I wanted. They gave me a button that I could push ever 15 minutes to give me an extra shot of relief. My labor was moving along really quickly, but after I had the epidural it slowed down, so I was finally given some drug to move my contractions along. I pushed for about an hour, but it went by so quickly. My mom was able to be in the room with me and Brendan did great. I was really expecting for him to get grossed out, but nothing really bugged him.
When Cruz came out I couldn't believe that I had carried him for 9 months and given birth to something that large. How is it possible? When they handed him to me it was all worth the pain that I went through.

Cruz on his way home from the hospital

Wow what a difference a week makes. We are trying really hard to get used to this parent thing. All of our friends have told us that we should really enjoy our pre-baby sleep, and we should have listened better. Cruz is not a bad sleeper he is just a confused little boy. He sleeps great from about 3 am to 7 pm. But the other hours of the day he feels is a great time to be awake, and for some reason he feels that he is really hungry that whole time. If he is not eating he will grunt and grunt and grunt........ and keep me awake wondering, is there something wrong, do I need to pick him up? But I think he just likes grunting.





10 comments:

Christy said...

Congratulations you guys! Brendan, I can't believe you have a little one! I promise it gets better, although you'll probably miss out on the sleeping thing until he goes to college. That's what I'm planning on, anyway. Being a parent changes everything and you'll soon wonder how you ever lived without him.
~ Christy (Smith) Williams

The Heaton's said...

Congrats you guys, we are so happy for you! He is such a cutie! We aren't sure who he looks like yet but we are leaning a little more toward Tatem. I hope you guys are getting your sleep, make sure you sleep when he does. Keep us posted and enjoy every minute of him while he is so tiny!

Ryan and Stephanie

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

I was so excited to see some more pictures of Cruz! What a cute baby. We are so excited for your guys and so glad that both mommy and baby are doing well. Good job Tatem!

The Aprecios said...

For the new parents....
http://www.c00lstuff.com/1133/Do_s_and_don_ts_with_babies/

audreywaldron said...

Congrats!!!!! sounds like you were so glad to have him join you guys, I think all moms are like that towards the end :)
Cute name too, I really like it!!!
Take care you guys :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steph said...

cruz is such a cutie. crew was a major grunter too and i thought it was so cute in the day but then at night it was really hard to sleep through. i think i lost a lot of sleep becuase of it and got up with him more than i needed to. good luck and hopefully he gets day and night straightened out soon!!

Tommy and Monique Shelby said...

I love hearing labor stories. Especially the good ones. I think they are so interesting. The bad stories are definitely good birth control though. Glad all went well for you. Congrats guys!

Justin and Stacey said...

Way to go Tatem!! Cruz is such a cutie pie! It sounds like you did awesome. Enjoy him while he is so little...it doesn't last long!

Karli said...

sounds like we had similar experiences...as we should since they share a birthday! i too felt it was like really bad cramps. the worst ever. i didn't get an epidural till 7 either and mine was just a continuous drip which was nice. and, it totally slowed me down...pretty much stopped the labor. so they gave me pitocin three times and then finally broke my water. pushed for an hour or so as well. i couldn't believe i had an 8pounder! i gained 30 pounds total and a third of my weight came off with him! (: only 7 pounds to go now. the whole thing is such a process! gray sleeps pretty decent, but is also kind of confused as to what is night and day. and, he is a major grunter and acts hungry all the time. so funny! check him out at: our84days.blogspot.com

hope you're feeling good!
karli