Friday, January 30, 2009

The Bad Mom Syndrome


Do you ever feel like a bad mom when you read other peoples blogs? I know I do! Don't get me wrong, I love seeing what everyone is up to, but then I start comparing myself to every person alive out there. I start wondering if I'm a lazy mom and should my child be able to do this or that as well. I look at Cruz and think that he is pretty darn smart and then I see what everyone else's child is doing already. His not walking, the doctor asks if he is saying any words and I wonder is that a bad thing that he can't, he knows where his head is and that's about it, the boy gained less then half a pound in three months..... and the list goes on and on. I tell myself that I shouldn't compare and Cruz will develop at his on pace, but then the thought sneaks back in my head, "Am I trying hard enough, am I just lazy?" You can ask Brendan and he would agree that I am the worlds best worrier. Maybe I just need to learn how to turn this stress into a dessert.

7 comments:

steph said...

i totally understand exactly what you mean. it's so hard not to compare!! crew's been a little slow on the "talking legibly" front and sometimes i get stressed about it but i think that's just what mom's do. cruz will start doing things in his own time. just enjoy him being little while he still is.

Sarah Carlston said...

Just remember that people usually only put the "good" things about their lives on their blogs and yeah, if you look at everyones "goods" than you will start to feel crappy....just remember that you are the best mom for Cruz and no one can replace you! And dont worry that he isnt walking yet....Every child is so different...and the talking? Lauren literally didnt talk until she was 4!!!

Just relax and enjoy your little man!

And remember, you dont know what goes on behind closed doors in every one elses "blog household"!

Ok, I think I am done!

Anonymous said...

I agree so much with both of the comments! I also agree with you. I feel like I am a horrible mom after looking at amazing mom's blogs... but I know that I am the best mom I can be. Which, I think you are such a great mom! I also think some moms are just really good braggers. Cruz is adorable and all babies develop differently. Its frustrating when its your baby not doing everything, but they all will everntually. Enjoy Cruz crawling cuz he soon will be running around making you chase after all his messes. I know I'm not looking forward to that!

Ashley and Dave said...

I am positive that every mom compares and worries! I feel like kids really just need love, they will learn at their own pace.

Megan said...

I echo everyone else, it's hard not to compare..and we all do it. Hey, if it makes you feel better, Hayden was 17 months before he walked. I always find it nice to have another mother validate me or make me realize I'm not abnormal.

Carrie said...

Oh girl, all things you need not stress over! Go eat some cake!

Justin and Stacey said...

I agree with everyone! There are a lot of kids Jack's age in our ward, and they are all completely different!! Some walked early, some talked early, some still don't say a single word, some can climb,and some just sit there. I think they eventually all catch up when they feel like it though! Cruz sure is a cutie pie!